Monday 26 August 2013

Generating more Buzz for Infection, plus some ramblings about the promotion process in general

So how do I go about generating more buzz for my game? Currently there are 4 podcast reviews, 1 video review, 1 written review on BoardGameGeek, 2 reviews outside of BGG (1 in Russian) and finally an upcoming review in Counter Magazine.  Currently my game is in the top 10 selling games at Victory Point Games.

Some reviewers say this game hasn't gotten a lot of buzz, and it should deserve more. So my question is how to I generate it? It's a solitaire game so I know that limits the market for this game. It has been compared to Pandemic, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing: gamers who like the theme of fighting a virus may be drawn to it and check it out, whereas other players might think it is a Pandemic knock and not give it a second thought.

So what have I done so far to generate buzz myself? I have contacted most of the major podcasters, 4 of which have reviewed or at least discussed my game. I feel have promoted the heck out of it on BGG (am I getting to annoying?...Don't answer that!). I have been quick to respond to any questions or comments regarding Infection in the forums on BGG. I am also using Facebook quite a bit. I have done some Tweeting, but there is only so much you can say in 140 characters without spamming people. I have this blog, which I admit I don't update frequently, plus I have my own website as well--not updating it much either. I don't know if pouring my energies into the blog and website will do much if people don't know I exist.

That being said it is selling well relative to other VPG titles so I guess I shouldn't complain. If I am planning to be in the industry for the long haul then slow and steady wins the race, eh? I guess what I am getting at in this whole post is I guess I feel I might not be doing enough...that I need to self promote more...but I don't know what more I can do that I haven't already done. I am enjoying what has happened so far. I love the feedback I have gotten (not one bad review yet!) and I love answering questions and just generally sharing.

Right now game design is a hobby, but it is a hobby I am sharing with the whole world. People are buying and playing my little game in Spain, Poland, Great Britain, Germany, France, etc. and that is sooooo fricken cool! I have a lot more game designs in the pipeline and I can't wait to share them with all of you out there. I have learned so much from designing, developing, publishing and promoting Infection and I want to put those lessons into action in the future.

So yeah, this post was a bit rambling, but I just wanted to share both my joys and some frustrations. I know this game is good--pretty well a solid 8 so far in the ratings--and I would just like more people become aware of it so then might have a chance to enjoy it too.

Thanks for reading, and as always, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
John Gibson

That Cowboy Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment